St. John’s – St. James Episcopal Church / St. James Educational Center

church and educational building exterior

St. John’s – St. James Episcopal Church / St. James Educational Center This property is located in the John Elliot Square Historic District of Roxbury, Massachusetts and includes two historically significant structures and one contemporary addition. Ionic Hall, one of the oldest surviving brick buildings in Roxbury, is a circa 1800 Federal Style mansion. St. Luke’s Chapel of 1901 is … VIEW PROJECT +

Second Church of Dorchester

church exterior

    Second Church of Dorchester A Church of the Nazarene 1805 Federal Style Meeting House occupying a prominent site in Codman Square in Dorchester. The church property includes a series of additions which date from 1869. Mills Whitaker Architects has provided the following services: 1998 Rehabilitation Assessment Report – funded with matching grant from Historic Boston Incorporated Steeples Project. … VIEW PROJECT +

Carriage House – Adaptive Reuse

Diagram, engineering drawing Description automatically generated

Carriage House – Adaptive Reuse Park Street School Annex / Boston MA The “Flat of the Hill” is the lower portion of Beacon Hill that was formerly part of the Charles River Basin. Like the adjacent Back Bay of Boston, the land was filled in the 19th century for expansion of the city. Most of lower Beacon Hill was occupied … VIEW PROJECT +

Park Street School Boston, Massachusetts

school exterior and interior

  Park Street School Boston, Massachusetts Park Street School, a 240-student elementary school in the Beacon Hill Historic District, is in a restored 25,000 square foot structure that was built in 1913 as the first fireproof school building in Boston. Originally known as the Brimmer School, it was subsequently used by several colleges until Park Street School purchased it and … VIEW PROJECT +

Park Street Church Boston Massachusetts

Diagram, engineering drawing Description automatically generated

Park Street Church Boston Massachusetts Park Street Church, founded in 1809, owns and occupies four contiguous buildings that include the original church, 1 Park (1971), 2 Park (1887), and 3 Park Street (1918). Mills Whitaker Architects has provided a range of professional services to this historic congregation for its 95,000 square foot urban campus. 1994 Space Planning Study – Measured … VIEW PROJECT +

Portland Museum of Art Portland, Maine

Diagram, schematic Description automatically generated

Portland Museum of Art Portland, Maine The Portland Museum of Art originally consisted of the 1801 McLellan House and its 1911 addition of the LDM Sweat Galleries. In 1983, the Charles Shipman Payson addition gave the museum a new face onto Congress Street. In 2007, the museum purchased its Greek Revival neighbor, the 1832 Charles Quincy Clapp House. Mills Whitaker … VIEW PROJECT +

Paul Revere Education & Visitor Center North End/ Boston

Paul Revere house sign

    Paul Revere Education & Visitor Center North End / Boston, Massachusetts The Paul Revere Memorial Association is the steward of the Paul Revere House, circa 1680, and the Pierce/Hichborn House, circa 1711. The Revere House is well known for its association with the famous patriot, silversmith, and midnight riding herald. The lesser known Pierce/Hichborn House is one of … VIEW PROJECT +

Old City Hall – Boston MA

city hall

               Old City Hall – Boston MA Built in 1865, the Old City Hall in Boston, Massachusetts, was the city’s centerpiece of municipal government and architectural excellence for many decades. The facility now serves as home for the Architectural Heritage Foundation, stewards of this historical trea- sure and holders of a 99-year lease from … VIEW PROJECT +

Newburyport City Hall

window overlooking city

  Newburyport City Hall Mills Whitaker Architects provided the following services for this circa 1850 Historic Structure in the scenic seaport of Newburyport. 1997 Assessment of Historic Windows – performed survey of windows, noting levels of deterioration and identifying non-original materials. Published a “Window Survey” documenting historical development and existing conditions. The project was funded with a matching grant from … VIEW PROJECT +

Marblehead Old Town House

building exterior

        Marblehead Old Town House Built in 1727, the Old Town House in Marblehead is known as the “Cradle of Liberty” due to its role as the oldest polling location in the country. Mills Whitaker Architects LLC was retained to make this National Historic Landmark into a fully accessible struc-ture while retaining its character-defining features. Preservation of … VIEW PROJECT +